the message is misleading and my guess is it is written dated back to the 360/720k era. However, I don't think you can just copy over th bzImage. You need some boot loader on the floppy. It could be lilo or syslinux.
Tried Knoppix CD version___________________________________________ __![]()
Installed a HD version___________________________________________ _____![]()
Wanted to include Tekram SCSI card + TEAC R56 toaster + USB Dial-Up modem___![]()
No sources available_________________________________________ _________![]()
Downloaded 2.4.20 kernel and recompiled with 'appropriate' modules _____________![]()
Make-kpkg.... then dpkg -i .....=> kernel too big for a boot-floppy! _______________![]()
Returned to old faithful_ make xconfig/dep/bzImage/modules/ => kernel still too big!![]()
I have 2 IDE HDDs First is uniquely MSDOS, 2nd has some Windows stuff at the start, then all the Linux stuff down the back. Plenty of room. I do NOT want to mess with the MBR,
so LILO and co. is OUT
I tried copying the bzImage from arch/i386/boot to /dev/fd0 - some flashing lights and noise, but rebooting gave - 'Ran out of data_ abandonned boot sequence - system halted.
Any way out of this dilemma. The bzImage is 1.1Mo so should fit on a floppy OK.
Hope to hear some words of wisdom - will plug away with 2.4.20-xfs and COM1 analogue modem, no Toasting, until better offer.
cheers
the message is misleading and my guess is it is written dated back to the 360/720k era. However, I don't think you can just copy over th bzImage. You need some boot loader on the floppy. It could be lilo or syslinux.
--If you copy (dd) the kernel directly to the floppy with no bootloader, it won't pass the kernel parms. Try ' man syslinux ' - altho it only works on msdos filesystems.
--Here also is an (old,untested) script from my suse days (you should copy lilo.conf to lilo.floppy.conf 1st, and edit it so that boot=/dev/fd0 IIRC) :
#BEGIN mklilofloppy
Code:#!/bin/sh # Don't forget to " vidmode kernelimg(vmlinuz?) -2 " to set VGA50 echo Insert floppy: echo PK: read mkdir /floppy /sbin/mke2fs -m 1 /dev/fd0 && \ mount /dev/fd0 /floppy && \ cp /boot/boot.b /floppy && \ cp /boot/vmlinuz /floppy #echo image=/floppy/vmlinuz label=linux | \ cp $0 /floppy && \ cp lilo.floppy.conf /floppy && \ cp /boot/message /floppy && \ /sbin/lilo -C lilo.floppy.conf -b /dev/fd0 -i /floppy/boot.b -c -m /floppy/map && \ ls -al /floppy && \ umount /floppyOriginally Posted by ozfrog
a bit further down this road . . . . . . . . .
Dowloaded a 2.4.20, patched for Tekram, reconfigured, recompiled and was able to make a boot floppy (avoiding Lilo as usual ).
Results:
Boot 1 with new floppy boot disk => straight after boot messages, the monitor went to standby mode . Cold re-start => fs with errors, ran e2fsk -py /dev/hdc2 => same fs error message.
Boot 2 with old floppy boot disk. => fs with error messages, e2fsk & Co.
Could it be that 2.4.20 needs to be patched with an 'xfs' patch ( as well as the Tekram stuff ) if it's to live happily on a fs created with a 2.4.20-xfs?
This is the only answer I can fathom out at present.
Hoping for more knowlegeable minds.
cheers
OK, so you don't want to mess with the mbr (God alone knows why: it's easy enough to recover). Why not
apt-get install grub
(I'm assuming grub doesn't come with post 3.1 versions).
Read all the documentation you can google for on grub, but it's absolutely possible to write grub to floppy and boot from that.
If GRUB will get me up and running from a floopy, I've no beef with that - I'll grok the doc. and see what gives.Originally Posted by fingers99
Thanks.
MBR stuff. I 'did' a new kernel, got it booting from LILO- fine. Then before I got a chance to back-up the MBR, it went 'to GOD' => Impossible to boot anything! re-install W_98 from scratch {Norton GHOST to the rescue once again- so I was able to avoid reinstalling software and drivers } then back to square one with Knoopix_ HD install, reconfigure stuff, install stuff, update stuff - you know what I mean.
After that hassle, you can understand why I want to steer clear of messing with the MBR again. Reading LOADLIN doc. recently, it's author states that the command to reinstall the MBR (? fdisk /MRB?) isn't 100% trustworthy either, and that coming from someone I think I can believe.
Well - back to the drawing board; I know it must be possible, as K.Knopper got one to work with the 2.4.20-xfs kernel. Anything to do with 'initrd' configuration in the kernel?
bye

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1000.00
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99