Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: lilo wont install to harddisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    lilo wont install to harddisk

    Hi,
    I have both windows XP (hda1) and Linux (hda5) running on my laptop. I would like to install lilo on hda5 and use NT loader to boot into either OS. I have boot of the laptop using Knoppix CD, however when I try to install lilo onto /dev/hda5, I have receive the following error:

    Fatal: create /boot/map~: Read-only file system

    I have search through the forum along with other site to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

    P.S. I have mounted the file system and have no problem read/write to it.

    mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

    lilo.conf

    boot=/dev/hda5
    dealy=10
    ramdisk=0
    root=/dev/hda5
    image=vmlinuz
    initrd=initrd
    label=linux

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    A little more information on my progress so far. I have created:
    /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf
    /mnt/hda5/dev
    /mnt/hda5/boot

    Run the following command:

    lilo -v -r /mnt/hda5

    NOW, I have received the following error:

    Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda5")

    Not sure what this error is referring to, I have no raid setup on the laptop. It just a simple single drive with two partion.

    Anyone with any suggestion?

  3. #3
    I had the exact same problem.

    It turned out to be that my lilo.conf was munged and didn't have a initrd option in it.

    What I did is add:
    initrd=/initrd.img
    to my /vmlinuz block of my lilo.conf.

    ALSO when I was trying to fix my lilo.conf from a debian boot disk I read there was some problem with running lilo in chroot.

    So I mounted the broken partitions to /target and did a chroot to /target and ran lilo and it fixed everything.

    Hopefully this will help someone!!

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix wont boot from lilo
    By ed9598 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
  2. knoppix wont write lilo
    By gieltje in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 09:06 PM
  3. how to install knoppix on harddisk?
    By Panada in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
  4. How to install Knopix 3.2 to my harddisk
    By david90schr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
  5. lilo wont detect my winxp partition
    By bitwarrior in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00