-
Source of problem
Hello Again,
I have isolated what I believe to be the source of my problems and i thought some other folks might find it useful.
When I was able to boot the last time, the first thing my computer did was begin prompting me to reboot to complete an automated download from Microsoft. At first, I thought this was a coincidence since I am setup to automatically get the latest service pacs to close the plethora of known security issues with their products. As it turns out, two worms (Blaster and Nachi) apparently work together to hide, reinfect and propogate across the web. See article ID 833330 on the Microsoft website for details.
Unfortunately, there is little that can be done (data safe, that is) to fix the problem other than the procedure we have contemplated. The rub is that if you save the wrong files you are doomed to repeat the process at potentially random intervals as I have done. As in make a complete backup for reinstall on the new drive under the erroneous assumption that the hard drive is mechanically compromised. There is nothing wrong with the drive and i am not going to be lucky to get the files off before it makes it's last gasp. It is a software problem in my case...a pair of virus working together. Last year at this same time, I had this same problem and resolved it by restoring a complete backup...it activated again this year and knocked me out again. I thought the precision timing was a coincidence as well.
Just my two cents worth...you be the judge.
b.line
P. S. While I was writing this I noticed you have replied again.
I like the idea of the external with a fat partition so I will go that way first since I already have one.
I have several computers but have not fooled with networking since Novell was a miracle (and a massive pain in the foot). I understand it is a lot simpler now.
All food for thought...THanks again.
b.line
Similar Threads
-
By maestrobwh1 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
-
By samuri_tux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
-
By Matthew87 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
-
By MoFoQ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 08:30 PM
-
By schnarff in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

G.Skill Trident Z Royal 256GB 8x32GB F4-3200C14Q2-256GTRG CL14-18-18-38 DDR4 RAM
$1200.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$47988.00

1 Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 3200 MHz RGB PRO SL 16GB DDR4 SDRAM - Black
$50.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00