I had some initial difficulty booting from a Knoppix 4.0.2 CD and noticed that a number of other HP Pavillion users had similar problems. Here is what worked for me...
1. Held F9 during boot to set boot order to boot from CD-ROM drive first.
2. Inserted Knoppix CD into CD-ROM reader and continued to boot from CD.
3. Got to Knoppix home screen with 'boot:' prompt at bottom.
4. Hit return to continue with Knoppix boot but screen just went blank with no further CD-ROM or hard drive activity. Checked forums and decided I had problems with display of error message.
5. Shut down and started again by repeating steps 1 to 3 but this time I entered 'knoppix vga=0' after boot prompt and hit return. The Knoppix install continued and this time I saw the following error message:
'Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! [....] try booting with the 'noapic' option'
6. Shut down and repeated steps 1 to 3 again but this time I entered 'knoppix noapic' after boot prompt and hit return.
At this point Knoppix installed properly and all was well. Hope this helps others out there with similar problems.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00