-
Cannot bring up static address
I hope this isn't a double post but I posted this originally on Friday
and haven't seen it on the list. I've been having problems connecting
however.
I could use some help. I've been using Knoppix 5.3.1 & Knoppix 5.1.1
for some time and Unix and SuSE Linux a lot longer; I've never been
able to get Knoppix to work with my LAN which is running with several
SuSE machines. This was never a major problem as I simply moved
files on a thumb drive.
However, I'm now trying to play with uml and networking is now
something I must have. I disconnected one of my boxes from the LAN
and tried to set up my network card on it. I tried using both my
desired addresses and the defaults with the same results. I know
I'm overlooking the obvious, have checked the FAQs which seem mostly
wireless in their problems, I'm using CAT5.
What have I overlooked?
: root@Knoppix:~# ifconfig eth0
: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:C9:6C:E1:07
: inet addr:192.168.0.49 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
: BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
: RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
: TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
: collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
: RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
***** not RUNNING
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.49 up
: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:# cat /etc/network/interfaces
: # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(
, ifdown(
: # The loopback interface
: # automatically added when upgrading
: auto lo eth0
: iface lo inet loopback
:
: allow-hotplug eth0
:
: iface eth0 inet static
: address 192.168.0.49
: netmask 255.255.255.0
: network 192.168.0.0
: broadcast 192.168.0.255
: gateway 192.168.0.1
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/sysconfig/netcard
: FULLNAME="Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]"
: DRIVER="e100"
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/resolv.conf
: nameserver 192.168.0.1
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
: # This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
: # program, probably run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
: #
: # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single line.
: # MAC addresses must be written in lowercase.
:
: # PCI device 0x8086:0x1229 (e100)
: SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:a0:c9:6c:e1:07", NAME="eth0"
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:~# lsmod |grep e100
: e100 38792 0
: mii 9728 1 e100
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
: DEVICE=eth0
: IPADDR=192.168.0.49
: NETMASK=255.255.255.0
: NETWORK=192.168.0.0
: BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
: ONBOOT=yes
: --------------
TIA
Jack Tucker
Similar Threads
-
By CamilliLarry in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2005, 03:08 AM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By jdally in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
-
By unamiccia in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
-
By eriixblaike in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90Ghz 8 Core 16.5MB CPU Processor SRH02
$140.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99