-
Hello Again - boot issues continued
I just received my hdd enclosure and set out to repair my master boot record and, as discussed (predicted) did not get away with it.
I booted in XP (to the prompt) and ran fixmbr and fixboot...the result is that my XP disc will no longer boot...go figure.. Knoppix boots but no longer automatically mounts the internal hdd.
MY LAPTOP IS STILL WON'T BOOT in XP so I can use my Tax Software.
So I am planning my next move:
a) I apparently have a soup salad for an internal drive (I have the files off) ... blaster worm intact, no doubt.
b) I have the original Dell hdd (that I didn't get all my files from) complete with the original Dell Mirror setup files ... blaster worm in tact, no doubt.
c) I have an outboard back-up drive (with a proprietary backup system) full of my XP back-up files.
First, I would like to mount the internal drive to see what kind of salad I'm actually looking at by using the command:
mount -t /dev/sda1
....to look around
Second, I would run (from root) the partition/format command for FAT32 linux files with:
mkfs -t vfat/dev/sda1
....to clear the boot record, partition disc space for Linux, and prepare to reinstall XP either by repairing the XP installation or re-install from the original hard drive (now external)employing the Dell Mirror feature...remove the worms (as previously noted) and load Linux Dual Boot.
Failing that, I guess it's a clean format of the internal hard drive, partition for Linux, install XP from disk, install Linux dual boot.
Continue to back up on the external back up drive and store all data on the outboard hdd.
Are these the right commands?
Which version of Linux would you load for your personal use?
All replies appreciated
b.line
Similar Threads
-
By echromes in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
-
By JesusFreak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-02-2005, 11:43 PM
-
By _Azrael_ in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 02:38 PM
-
By amag in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:48 AM
-
By CompaqDrew in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras
$124.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*
$50.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Collection Or Lot Of Vintage Cables & Adapters Rockwell Hasp Security Dongle
$50.00

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS
$224.99

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00