Hello. I was and am a very happy user of knoppix 5.1.1 on my Toshiba 2775 P3 laptop. What a great disc. Works with no cheatcodes needed.
I am trying to use knoppix 6.0.1. Unlike 5.1.1, I have to add edd=off into the boot line. I figured that out because, like 6.0.1, Parted Magic hangs for around two minutes after the initrd, but when PM hangs it says it is probing edd, and suggests edd=off. So, even edd=off is not in the knoppix cheatcodes, it does work and eliminates that 2 minute hang.
Does anyone know what the edd is doing? And what are the consequences of turning it off?
Also, for 6.0.1 I have to use pci=bios. For 5.1.1 I did not.
Thanks much for all the hard work!
Irwin

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00
LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount
$350.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99