Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Frequent CD-R spin ups

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Frequent CD-R spin ups

    I am using the Knoppix live CD and I really like it. It's saved my butt for a while now. But I'm a newbie when it comes to anything deeper than basic Linux user knowledge. I like that it only loads what's necessary to run then loads off CD as the user demands. But it seems to constantly spin the Knoppix CD even when I'm clicking on web links. I've been running 5.1.1 for a while and just upgraded to 6.0.1 today. The issue is in both versions. I'm guessing it's not an actual problem but what is it doing? Any way to make it not do this? Seems like heavy wear and tear to have the drive spin up and down every time I click a link. Actually it's not every time but it's quite often but I've yet to figure out the pattern for when it does and doesn't.

    I've also used Puppy and I like the ease of use. Its simplicity has removed some fear and helped me understand the insides of Linux a lot more. It's great because you can remove the live CD but it loads the entire CD to do so. Guess it's time to dive into remastering.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Frequent CD-R spin ups

    Quote Originally Posted by spurty
    ... Any way to make it not do this?....
    If you have 1 gig of memory or more (not at all uncommon in this age), try the toram cheat code. Booting will take longer, but your problem will vanish. Works for Puppy Linux too (and works faster and with less RAM).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    knoppix does this as it is running 100% from CD/DVD in your case, this means i has to read from the CD everytime it needs information that normally would have resided on a HDD.

Similar Threads

  1. Frequent RPM Dependency Error
    By tophat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 12:07 AM
  2. hd spin down
    By Henning in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 05:59 AM
  3. CD won't spin on boot
    By ghitzjr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89