If you have 1 gig of memory or more (not at all uncommon in this age), try the toram cheat code. Booting will take longer, but your problem will vanish. Works for Puppy Linux too (and works faster and with less RAM).Originally Posted by spurty
I am using the Knoppix live CD and I really like it. It's saved my butt for a while now. But I'm a newbie when it comes to anything deeper than basic Linux user knowledge. I like that it only loads what's necessary to run then loads off CD as the user demands. But it seems to constantly spin the Knoppix CD even when I'm clicking on web links. I've been running 5.1.1 for a while and just upgraded to 6.0.1 today. The issue is in both versions. I'm guessing it's not an actual problem but what is it doing? Any way to make it not do this? Seems like heavy wear and tear to have the drive spin up and down every time I click a link. Actually it's not every time but it's quite often but I've yet to figure out the pattern for when it does and doesn't.
I've also used Puppy and I like the ease of use. Its simplicity has removed some fear and helped me understand the insides of Linux a lot more. It's great because you can remove the live CD but it loads the entire CD to do so. Guess it's time to dive into remastering.
Thanks.
If you have 1 gig of memory or more (not at all uncommon in this age), try the toram cheat code. Booting will take longer, but your problem will vanish. Works for Puppy Linux too (and works faster and with less RAM).Originally Posted by spurty
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
knoppix does this as it is running 100% from CD/DVD in your case, this means i has to read from the CD everytime it needs information that normally would have resided on a HDD.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00
A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial
$319.00