Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Remote Display Setup - Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    Remote Display Setup - Knoppix

    was able to use ssh -x to call up a xterm from one server to the other. This is not correcting the problem that I'm having.

    1) From a RHEL 5.0 server (192.168.222.51) I set the following:
    export DISPLAY 192.168.222.50:0.0
    2) Execute "xterm" and I get the following error:
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 192.168.222.50:0.0
    3) On the 192.168.222.50 server running Knoppix, I set the following:
    xhost + <Enter>
    access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
    4) Execute "xterm" again from the RHEL server (192.168.222.51) and get the following error:
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 192.168.222.50:0.0

    It seems that I've got some type of firewall or something on the Knoppix system thats stopping these remote displays? Once again ssh is working between the two servers and I'm able to remote a display "xterm window" from the Knoppix server to the RedHat server.

    I can't find how this was setup on Knoppix and this problem is also stopping me from not just remoting displays but using telnet.

    Thanks,
    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: Remote Display Setup - Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by johnj123
    was able to use ssh -x to call up a xterm from one server to the other. This is not correcting the problem that I'm having.
    It seems that I've got some type of firewall or something on the Knoppix system thats stopping these remote displays? Once again ssh is working between the two servers and I'm able to remote a display "xterm window" from the Knoppix server to the RedHat server.
    X is default set up under Debian not to listen to TCP. I'm not sure, but maybe the problem is there.
    I modified /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to just say
    Code:
    X -noreset -br
    and changed /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx in a similar way, omitting the
    Code:
    -nolisten tcp
    option from the startx line. After that,
    Code:
    ssh -X -l <username> <servername>
    works for me. (From Mandriva, the -X switch in ssh is not necessary.)

    I did not have to do ANY xhost+ 'ing or DISPLAY= 'ing to get it to work. (Strange? Dunno.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: Remote Display Setup - Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    X is default set up under Debian not to listen to TCP. I'm not sure, but maybe the problem is there.
    I modified /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to just say
    Code:
    X -noreset -br
    and changed /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx in a similar way, omitting the
    Code:
    -nolisten tcp
    option from the startx line. After that,
    Code:
    ssh -X -l <username> <servername>
    works for me. (From Mandriva, the -X switch in ssh is not necessary.)
    I did not have to do ANY xhost+ 'ing or DISPLAY= 'ing to get it to work. (Strange? Dunno.)
    While this is correct, and probably is relevant under some conditions, it is by no means necessary to run ssh and open X displays - I know now!
    Code:
    ssh -X -l <username> <servername>
    is enough, at least with a Tru64-Unix server. I'll try it out more and report on what I find. Beware that the local Xserver (on your machine) must have the necessary resources to display what the 'client' sends to it. For this reason, I could not start tru64 Emacs remote - some X fonts are missing locally.

    Using ssh to run programs on other machines is a great way to avoid installing all kinds of exotic software on the Knoppix box, with the consequential need for extra infrastructure...

Similar Threads

  1. Remote Display Setup
    By johnj123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
  2. remote login to knoppix DVD
    By chaoswings in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 01:55 AM
  3. Remote Desktop from Windows to Knoppix?
    By HisHighness in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 03:30 AM
  4. Remote Display?
    By ewangr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 03:57 AM
  5. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$129.95



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99