-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Remote Display Setup - Knoppix

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
X is default set up under Debian not to listen to TCP. I'm not sure, but maybe the problem is there.
I modified /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to just say
and changed /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx in a similar way, omitting the
option from the startx line. After that,
Code:
ssh -X -l <username> <servername>
works for me. (From Mandriva, the -X switch in ssh is not necessary.)
I did not have to do ANY xhost+ 'ing or DISPLAY= 'ing to get it to work. (Strange? Dunno.)
While this is correct, and probably is relevant under some conditions, it is by no means necessary to run ssh and open X displays - I know now!
Code:
ssh -X -l <username> <servername>
is enough, at least with a Tru64-Unix server. I'll try it out more and report on what I find. Beware that the local Xserver (on your machine) must have the necessary resources to display what the 'client' sends to it. For this reason, I could not start tru64 Emacs remote - some X fonts are missing locally.
Using ssh to run programs on other machines is a great way to avoid installing all kinds of exotic software on the Knoppix box, with the consequential need for extra infrastructure...
Similar Threads
-
By johnj123 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
-
By chaoswings in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2008, 01:55 AM
-
By HisHighness in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2008, 03:30 AM
-
By ewangr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 03:57 AM
-
By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00