Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Install ADRIANE [6.1] to HDD? (DVD version)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Install ADRIANE [6.1] to HDD? (DVD version)

    Hi there,

    I want to use Knoppix ADRIANE as main/only operating system. So I want to install it to hard disk.

    So, when you boot the laptop, it should automatically (without any user input) start Knoppix with ADRIANE activated (so you get the ADRIANE menu + screenreader).

    I've got the DVD version "Knoppix 6.1", which was sold in Germany as part of the c't heise magazine.

    I did not test it yet, because the laptop did not arrive yet. I want to start immediately, so I better ask before, because I never installed Knoppix ADRIANE before.

    Ah, and a second question:
    Orca is used as screen reader for the GUI, correct? So I should better install GNOME instead of LXDE, because Orca supports GNOME better, I think? Is this possible?

    Thanks in advance
    e2d

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Greetings e2d

    Welcome to adriane knoppix.
    I am patiently waiting for the new DVD to be realeased.
    When you get further along, some better experts
    can help with installing. But I will still give my advice
    and hope to not upset too many here.

    Don't install knoppix until you have a strong reason to
    do so. I have worked with knoppix for many years as
    my main operating system and have never install once.

    Knoppix-v6.0.1-Adriane-v1.1CD and likely your DVD will
    mount, as writable, a usb memory stick. Simply keep
    your work and new programs there. Every few days
    when I have to reboot, I add a few programs and scripts.
    With a good computer and memory the CD or DVD works
    very fast with no problems.

    Orca works nicely and all of the gnome programs are
    ready to work along with the LXDE desktop and lxterminal.

    It is wise to test a laptop to be sure it works well with
    the knoppix CD or DVD.

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Hi paradocs and thanks for your answer!

    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Don't install knoppix until you have a strong reason to
    do so. I have worked with knoppix for many years as
    my main operating system and have never install once.
    Hmm, well the problem is, that it's a netbook, which does not have any optical drive. So I thought I plug in an external dvd drive for one time, install Knoppix ADRIANE and deplug it (the drive is loud and probably slow).

    I'd be willing to install something like Debian or Ubuntu, if it would be possible to re-create all the necessary steps to get ADRIANE working(not only the screenreader, but the menu too). But I did not find any guide or something.

    What do you think? I've read at many places, that installing Knoppix might not be the best solution ...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Hm, I read of the possibility to install Knoppix on an USB stick. So you've got Knoppix AND your personal data and settings on this stick. Is this true? So, I could use this method, right?

    But there's still the question: how do I install it with activated ADRIANE?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Okay, I managed to install it with ADRIANE - there is a option in the settings menu I was not aware of. When I use this option, it installs Knoppix with ADRIANE activated.

    Now the question:
    should I go for a USB stick installation or a hard disk installation? Do they have the same "problems", or is the USB stick installation more compatible?

    Or maybe: is there a way to "emulate" the DVD, so that Knoppix ADRIANE boots from HD but itselfs thinks, that it is the DVD version? Well, a problem might be, that there should be no other operating system in use - so Knoppix ADRIANE only.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    -bump-

    Can someone help me, please?

    I want to run ADRIANE on a netbook without any optical drive (only external drive for installation, if needed).
    Does USB installation offer any advantages about HD installation? Or doesn't it matter whether I install it to HD or USB?
    (I don't need the portability, I just think of the KNOPPIX way, what might work better)

    OR: is it possible to get the ADRIANE system in other distros, like Ubuntu or Debian? I mean the screenreader and the text menu.

Similar Threads

  1. How to install Knoppix ADRIANE to hard drive?
    By asdfsdafdsa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 12:46 PM
  2. What version of Debian am I using after doing a HD install?
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 05:53 AM
  3. Poor Man's Install Not Working in version 7-26 version
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
  4. How do I Install to HD from CD Version
    By tgenereaux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 04:25 AM
  5. HD Install what Debian version?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99