-
-
Senior Member
registered user
is that possible ? I believe in order for this to happen, the linksys must also support bridge function or the packet on the other side just won't come over(and vice versa).
Why not just 2 sub-net which would make things simpler ?
-
The linksys WAP11 supports a bridge function, but instead of using the WAP11 in bridge mode, I was going to put it in infrastructure mode and set it up in a window at my moms and put the wireless adapter on my knoppix box in a window at my house, and just have the knoppix box be a client off of the WAP11.
I just didn't want to have a seperate subnet on the eth0 side of my knoppix box. I would rather have eth0 and wlan0 be on the same subnet and have the traffic from my house to her's pass transparently through the knoppix machine.
-
Knoppix ethenet bridge on Lynksys
What you are proposing is not only feasable but I am doing it, though I am not using knoppix in my bridge I am using OpenBSD, but the configuration should roughly be the same. What you are doing is turning a$700 computer into a $5.00 bridge.
in the /etc just configure the interfaces:
not as dhcp
not to a static ip but as "up"
example
hostnamexl0
#dhchp
#inet
up
then
hostnamexl11
#dhcp
#inet
up
you can also add packet filtering or have the bridge do NAT
since you want to use knoppix though and knoppix is debian based I reccomend you read the following: http://www.wlug.org.nz/WirelessEthernetBridge
take care and good luck,
-
Thanks for the replies!
I think I'm going to just get 2 WAP11s and call it a day. Although, I will attempt this project just for the sake of knowing how to do it.
I do however wish that a wireless bridge was $5, I would use them for everything! Unfortunatly the linksys WET11 wireless bridge is more expensive than a WAP11. So what do I do, buy a WAP11 and put it in bridge mode.
-
Similar Threads
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By mikemz in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
-
By aureoleday in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:12 AM
-
By Bertje in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 10:16 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00