Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems with log on... KDE requires password for 'knoppix'

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4

    Problems with log on... KDE requires password for 'knoppix'

    Hi, just signed in here since I'm newbie.... (also... I'm not native speaker, so sorry for my poor English...)

    I'm using KnoppixKO 5.1 (Korean localized version of knoppix 5.1)
    I've updated KDE and after rebooting, KDE requires me to type password for account 'knoppix' to logon.
    I've made password for root, but not for this account

    Any ways to start knoppix as console mode and set password for 'knoppix' account?

    I can't reinstall os, because my old laptop (Compaq Evo N400c) doesn't support cd boot(no cd-rom), and my usb stick is broken

    Sorry if my question is too silly and basic... but I've been dealing with this problem for 1 day and it's 1:38 am right now.....can't solve it.

    (Since I'm high school student, I have to go to school tomorrow. So, it is 'little bit' late for bed.)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    It sounds like your options are limited. I think the default password for knoppix is knoppix.

    Failing that, since you can sign in as root, you can enter the following command in the root shell:

    passwd knoppix

    This will prompt you for a new password for knoppix, which you will have to enter twice (it will not be displayed).

    Give these two tips a try and let us know which one worked.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4
    Thx, ndb!

    Problem with account password is solved (logged on as root and made password for 'knoppix') but when I type my password and try to log in, kdm starts again.
    And this kdm makes me to type that dumb password again, and again....

    also tried to boot with xdm, and even gdm (used apt-get to install gnome environment in console, thought maybe problem is in my new KDE) but no luck.
    (same thing happens in gdm, and xdm shows kde startup splash screen but no more than that.)

    Any solutions?
    Again, thanks ndb!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    No, once you've installed to the hard drive you have a normal login, with password. I wouldn't worry about, just use it.

    I have a Windows partition (NTFS), and Debian, and I have the Windows passworded as well, with an administrator account, as well as my everyday working account. I just prefer security over convenience at the moment.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4
    forgot to tell you, my knoppix is installed in laptop's HD.
    so I can't access to KDE desktop, that means i can't do anything with my laptop right now.

    I've just recovered usb stick so I'm going to reinstall knoppix to HD.

    Searched forum for this problem, and all I found was not very clear solution for this problem.... maybe this is related to other technical problem... I guess.


    Anyway, thanks ndb!

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    I had understood that you had installed knoppix to your HD. When you said that your USB stick was broken, did you mean that the stick itself was damaged. I had assumed you meant the USB port.

    I think that either installing KDE to your HD, or updating it, caused the requirement for logging in with your password.

    Neil

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.01 requires nodma to boot Live CD 4.02 did not?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 06:56 PM
  2. password problems (i've read the sticky)
    By invictius in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
  3. Noob requires help with file permissions after CDRom copy
    By JPWhite in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:48 AM
  4. Printer and Password problems
    By rocker452 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 04:53 AM
  5. Knoppix and a internet connection that requires DNS
    By FUSiON Xbetas in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H

$144.99



HP ProLiant BL660C Gen8 Server Blade 2x Xeon E5-4650L 2.60Ghz w/ 32GB DDR3, QTY picture

HP ProLiant BL660C Gen8 Server Blade 2x Xeon E5-4650L 2.60Ghz w/ 32GB DDR3, QTY

$189.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99