That is because samba is not installed in the CD.
So you will need to do the following
apt-get install samba
I have not tried the above but i think it will work.
there is no 6.0 dvd as yet .
I've been using the Knoppix 5.1 live CD to boot client machines up so that I can make/restore images using partimage by mounting a windows share directory.
The normal commands i've been using and still works is as follows
sudo su
cd /mnt
mkdir windows
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=mypass //myserver/images /mnt/windows
Once i started using the Knoppix 6 CD using the same command, i get an error message saying that smbfs is an unknown file type. the error says
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'
I've read all kinds of posts about using cifs or ntfs-3g and other file system types and I haven't had any luck. I even tried options adding the windows domain but no luck.
Any thoughts on why its different? I like the 3d Desktop Environment on the Knoppix 6 cd and im currently downloading the 5.3 dvd iso hoping its similar, but i'd also like to be using the latest version of Knoppix. BTW is there is Knoppix 6 live dvd loaded with more extras or is that the same as 5.3 dvd?
That is because samba is not installed in the CD.
So you will need to do the following
apt-get install samba
I have not tried the above but i think it will work.
there is no 6.0 dvd as yet .
Still getting the same error message running the mount command.
Try:
I also recommend pyneighborhood, which can be downloaded via apt and integrates nicely with PCMan.Code:aptitude install smbfs
HTH
I just not installed samba and it is working fine for meOriginally Posted by forcefeeld
I honestly don't know what might be wrong in your setup as samba is typically a no hassle straightforward install.Code:mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.4/c$ /mnt/test -o username=<your username>,password=<your password>

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95