Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Won't Boot - Minimal Shell - Keyboard Stops Working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2

    Won't Boot - Minimal Shell - Keyboard Stops Working

    Hello. I am trying to boot from a Knoppix 4 CD to save files from an XP harddrive that crashed. I am getting the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry" message. I have tried several cheat codes including:

    knoppix nodma
    knoppix noapic acpi=off
    knoppix vga=0
    knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm
    knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
    failsafe debug -b 3

    None of them are able to allowing the boot from cd. And if given a command prompt (like during a failsafe boot, or minimal shell prompt), the keyboard (Dell USB) won't work for typing any commands.

    I have seen similar forum posts, but I couldnt find any solutions that work for my issue. I have used this Knoppix CD on many other Dell computers and I just tested it on my laptop and it worked. The problematic machine is Dell Optiplex 755 (the ultra small form factor).

    Would a newest version of Knoppix be more likely to boot on this newer machine? Also, the computer only has USB ports, so if the keyboard is the problem, switching to a PS2 keyboard is not an option.

    Any help would be appreciated. I would love to boot into linux and save some files from the harddrive. Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't expect an cheat code will fix this. Did you burn the disc at a low speed? The most common cause of this problem is trouble reading the disc, and the most common cause of that is a high speed burn.

    I can't rule out a newer version helping (particularly if you burn it slowly). But to really answer that question it would help to have good details about the hardware that you are booting on and the version that you are trying to boot. About the only old version issue that comes to mind at the moment is trying to boot a very old version of Knopiix without SATA support on an optical drive with an SATA interface. There may well be others, but that is the only one that comes to mind.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2
    Try to set the SATA-Mode in your BIOS-Setup to AHCI. It should actually be set to Legacy IDE or Native IDE and in this way the error occurs.

    Additional: Most of your tries like failsafe supress the load of "usb-drivers" (uhci, ehci, udev) so the keyboard can't work. Use a PS2-one for this (it has to work, otherwise your hardware is faulty).

    Ooh, i read too fast. You have no PS2- port! So you have to load the usb-modules manually. But first simply try my first hint and boot knoppix the normal way without any options.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2
    I downloaded Knoppix 6.0.1 and sucessfully booted from a flash drive. I believe the older version I was using (Knoppix 4.1 I believe) had an issue with the SATA interface, like you suggested. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. keyboard stops working
    By Daddycat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 06:19 AM
  2. Keyboard after boot not working.
    By james_steward in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 06:12 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
  4. WiFi stops working after HDD install
    By aumel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
  5. WiFi stops working after HDD install
    By aumel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89