-
Booting Knoppix fron a stick on Samsung RS10
Can this be done? I really would like to be able to boot from a USB stike. I have booted from the Knoppix 6.1 that came with May Linux Mag & was impressed but there is no explaination as to how to transfere the DVD to a USB stick and how to boot from it. I suppose this is ellementry stuff but I do not have the required knowledge. Help required please.
Atrainjenkins
-
I also used the recent Linux Format CD to install knoppix 6 to a usb stick.
When you boot from the CD, click the menu tool at bottom left, go to System Tools
and there should be an item under the menu which says, "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" This will also install to a USB stick.
-
I have tried this flash install (in Knoppix 6.1 from LX Magazine) with a couple of USB sticks of different brands.
The Knopiix system seems to install OK. At least I get no error messages. No other guiding messages either, for that matter.
A preliminary (my level of understanding) inspection of the flash drive content seems to agree.
But. the computers I tried will not boot from thoose USB sticks. I have enabled boot from USB-sticks in the bioses,
and even tried disabling all other boot options. They simply complain they cannot find an OS.
Am I supposed to have done other things as well, like installing GRUB or Lilo in MBR (not a thing I look forward to). I have been under the impression that this is done by the Knoppix flash drive installer.
Please help with some hints.
Similar Threads
-
By davepass in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-21-2006, 04:29 AM
-
By davman1971 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:28 AM
-
By pallendo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By merlin232 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By the_joker02 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w
$394.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99

Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read-
$239.95