I have having trouble connecting to the internet using a 56K modem. I have installed knoppix 6.1 from the linux pro magazine May 2009 edition. My machine is a HP Pavilion a6500f, 500 Gb sata HDD, 2GB ram, cd/dvdrw. I am sucessful using wvdial on another box with the following linux systems, ubuntu, scientific and mint.
When I try to use wvdial on knoppix 6, I receive 'exit code 4' error message which states the 'ppp-module' is absent in the kernel. I did a 'stare-n-compare' with my other operating systems and have found the module but not with knoppix. My knoppix system also crashes when I use 'kppp' from the menu. The error message asks me to submit a 'bug-report' on the crash. I can reproduce these failures at will.
Since I have no internet access with knoppix, is there a way to install a 'patch' that will install the ppp-module to gain internet access?
Thanks for your help.........Rick0713

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95