Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: anyone know what this error means? (usb modem installation)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    anyone know what this error means? (usb modem installation)

    I'm trying to install my speedtouch usb modem and get these errors when I type 'make install':

    'cannot create regular file' and 'read only file'.

    I think this is because I don't have the required permissions. I typed 'su' to log in as a super user. Is this the correct way to do this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Are you booting from the Knoppix cd? If so I'm afaraid it's not possible to install anything to it as it is a read-only file system.

    I found this post by entering 'speedtouch' into the search field.

Similar Threads

  1. Video display error during the installation
    By joralo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 05:48 AM
  2. modem error
    By ganbaru in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:14 AM
  3. Alcatel speedtouch modem and hard disk installation
    By perpo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. D-Link Modem/ installation problem
    By ehsan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:27 AM
  5. modem busy error
    By gtgoku in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62