Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't use xmodule=vesa on HD install

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    Can't use xmodule=vesa on HD install

    I'm fairly new to Linux, and have never used Knoppix. Right now, I've installed the newest version, 6.x, to the HD. When I booted Knoppix from CD, I had to use
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    to get 1024x768 resolution, instead of 800x600. Now that I've installed to HD, how/where do insert this in GRUB? I know how to edit the boot command line, I just don't know where to insert the xmodule=vesa line.
    On a related note, if I can get this working, how would I set it so that x module would be vesa every time, so I wouldn't always have to type it in?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    29
    Try in /grub/menu.lst, where it says
    Code:
    kernel  /boot/vmlinuz.....
    in that line.

    Idk about Knoppix cheat codes but the usual VESA modes are 'vga=791' for 1024x768 16-bit and 'vga=792' for 1024x768 24-bit.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by iki
    Try in /grub/menu.lst, where it says
    Code:
    kernel  /boot/vmlinuz.....
    in that line.

    Idk about Knoppix cheat codes but the usual VESA modes are 'vga=791' for 1024x768 16-bit and 'vga=792' for 1024x768 24-bit.
    I tried that, but I'm still in 800x600 because I don't know how to put it in VESA mode. Can you post the entire code, or the entire menu.lst file?

    This does answer my question about how to make it permanent, thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Nevermind, I just rebooted from the live CD in vesa mode, then reinstalled.

Similar Threads

  1. How to load non-default (=VESA) video drivers at startup?
    By thoste in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
  2. xmodule i810 worked in 5.1.1 but fbdev needed in 5.3.1?
    By rd0590 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
  3. Blank screen after booting (xmodule=vesa does not work!)
    By sydrto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
  4. xmodule=vesa on HDD install
    By organicpuzzle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 11:04 AM
  5. X-windows, vesa, fb
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99