Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 6.0.1 to Debian Testing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 6.0.1 to Debian Testing

    The current debian installer kept hanging so I thought Id use Knoppix since it always works for me.

    I installed Knoppix 6.0.1 to HD and modified sources.list to upgrade to Debian Testing.

    How do I switch to gdm and gnome instead of lde and auto login?

    I get lost looking at inittab and knoppix-startx.

    Aloha, Eric

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Going to try:

    update-alternatives --config x-window-manager


    will report back.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    GNOME

    Despite the following changes, LDE starts automatically and logs in user knoppix.

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

    There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

    Selection Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    + 1 /usr/bin/openbox
    * 2 /usr/bin/metacity

    Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: ^C
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

    There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.

    Selection Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 /usr/bin/openbox-session
    + 2 /usr/bin/startlxde
    * 3 /usr/bin/gnome-session

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: GNOME

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholse
    Despite the following changes, LDE starts automatically and logs in user knoppix.

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

    There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

    Selection Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    + 1 /usr/bin/openbox
    * 2 /usr/bin/metacity

    Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: ^C
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

    There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.

    Selection Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 /usr/bin/openbox-session
    + 2 /usr/bin/startlxde
    * 3 /usr/bin/gnome-session
    actually, I got as far as you, trying to install kde.

    Then I investigated some further. I'm pretty much a newb to all of linux, but from what I gathered, knoppix uses different boot scripts than debian, and therefore it ignores the update-alternatives thing.

    The actual line that controls the desktop that starts is in /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    It's the line that says Session='lxde'

    I tried changing that to kde and it worked. I wonder if it works iif I write kdm there...

Similar Threads

  1. Unstable/testing/stable/expeimental classes of Debian?
    By Ish Rattan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
  2. Burn testing using Knoppix
    By travathian in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
  3. Testing any Sound in Knoppix?
    By gopikrish in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
  4. Is it possible to switch to Debian Testing?
    By mr_dellarenta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
  5. how to upgrade to debian testing kernel?
    By hyao in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00