Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Keep getting Error message when mounting WinXP Partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    Keep getting Error message when mounting WinXP Partition

    Hi,

    first of all, I've been fiddling with Linux in the past, but it was never intense enough to solve this myself.

    After installing Knoppix 6.0.1 on a zip-drive, I could at first access all partitions on my HD, where WinXP, as well as all my files are located. Then I decided to use the automatic Installation of the flashplayer and other components.
    Suddenly after reboot I wasn't able to mount the partitions of the HD. All the time I get this message: "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFail ure" and "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFail ure" and (in German): "the folder does not exist".

    What I have found out myself is that there are entries in the /etc/fstab for these partitions:

    # DEFAULT BASE FSTAB, UNCONFIGURED
    proc /proc proc noauto 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda5 /media/sda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto ro,noauto,users,exec 0 0
    but all the folders in /media are all missing except for /dev/sr0

    As user "knoppix" I'm not allowed to create these folders, only when I make myself "root" I can.
    Also even when these folders are created, only "root" can mount the partitions.
    And after a reboot, the folders are gone.

    I thought on knoppix the user "knoppix" would have all rights of "root".

    Since the folders are missing, it's clear to me that I can't mount the HD partitions.
    Shouldn't these folders be created automaticly?

    I hope someone can make some sense of it. Your help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Markus

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    Update to the issue

    In the meantime I have found out that there is at least another thread with the same issue: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29618.
    The third answer talks about the script "rebuildfstab" in /usr/sbin. This guy didn't get it back to work, but I did using the -force parameter.
    This still leaves the question why it need the -force?
    Anyone have some deeper knowledge about how this works?

    Markus

Similar Threads

  1. what should i do with this partition error message?
    By neverlose in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM
  2. Can I copy WinXP off my 1st partition and reinstall?
    By cekoch in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 05:46 AM
  3. Error message!!!!!
    By Tyler_H72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
  4. Mounting Debian Partition Error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
  5. winxp, gentoo, knoppix, grub, and a boot error message
    By SgtRauksauff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black

$387.46



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00