Hi! I have KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN. On VMWare 6.0.4 the boot hangs at the beginning (black screen with penguin in the upper left corner, but no text). In 'failsafe' mode, however, it boots. So I decided to see /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg .
One by one I removed from the 'failsafe' entry those kernel arguments which are not in the 'knoppix' entry:And it still boots. Then I added missing arguments from the 'knoppix' to the 'failsafe' entry:Code:vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa"nolapic_timer" was the last and with it 'failsafe' finally refused to boot. Then I removed "nolapic_timer" from 'knoppix' entry and now knoppix boots on VMWare.Code:apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer
I don't know what apic timer and kernel timer are; they say that 'nolapic_timer' can cause the PC to consume less electricity. I think, in case of VMWare it's not so important.

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99