Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I merge Wifi adapter driver into the Knoppix CD?

  1. #1

    How do I merge Wifi adapter driver into the Knoppix CD?

    Hi all,
    My laptop has an "Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network connection" wifi adapter. When I boot from Knoppix the LED denoting enabled status of the wifi adapter remains off. I've tried to enable it, somewhere I did read the SSID of my wifi network from Knoppix, this tells me that the laptop might be able to see it, but I'm not sure how, since the wifi adapter appears disabled.

    I found a driver for my adapter on linux here: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
    I have downloaded it but I have no idea how to install it into Knoppix, either by adding it to the CD or by installing it after booting from KNoppix

    any clues will be greatly appreciated.
    cheers

  2. #2
    Additional info:
    lspci -v give me this:
    "06:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 12f6
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
    Memory at b0107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>"

    I wonder why access is denied? Is it because there is no driver installed for this device or ...... some other configuration is required?


    [/code]

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    if the ssid is shown on the laptop there must be working driver.
    Have you tried starting the desktop environment (just type knoppix in the boot menu or choose desktop environment in adriane menu? Many wlan cards are supported and you might be able to connect just by clicking on the symbol in the task panel

    Cheers Seballa

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what does
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig
    say?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    what does
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig
    say?
    Below is the output from your suggested commandline.
    Incidentally I nearly had a heart attack when trying to print the output to a file on my C: drive.
    I used this > to send the output to a text file on C:, I received a message: cannot write, I then made the C: drive writable to try again. Then I received a message .. the file has been deleted, (I wrote to it when it was still open) Bad idea! .. I chose to save this it again, went to look in C: to check it had been written as expected, and there were no files, nada, nothing in the C: drive!! I thought I had hosed my C: drive. Thankfully after I rebooted to Windows there was no problem, XP is still intact.phew, I should create a backup! ..

    Anyhoo here is the ouptput from the commandline ... what it tells you I will be interested to hear:

    sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig

    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 unassociated ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Channel=0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1500 (1.4 KiB) TX bytes:1500 (1.4 KiB)

Similar Threads

  1. not recognize wifi usb adapter
    By jv_guano in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
  2. Install a USB Wireless Adapter Driver?
    By SicKn3sS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
  4. KNOPPIX and KANOTIX: why not merge?
    By tablet_guy in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
  5. Network Configuring and Linuxant Driver for wifi
    By johnsandidge in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99