View Poll Results: Which filesystem you are using?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • ext2

    0 0%
  • ext3

    4 50.00%
  • ext4

    2 25.00%
  • Reiser

    1 12.50%
  • XFS

    0 0%
  • JFS

    0 0%
  • NTFS

    1 12.50%
  • other

    0 0%
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Which filesystem you are using?

  1. #1

    Which filesystem you are using?

    Which filesystem are you using?

    For Linux usually ext 3, but Data-Partition ntfs so I have access from Windows as well

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I clicked the ext3 for the poll, but, I wanted to click Reiser...

    Why? Well, when I first started using Linux, I was using ext3. As a month or two went by, everyone was pushing to use Reiser, so, I cleared a drive, reformatted it to Reiser, and then transferred my complete installation over to the new drive. When the OS drive was working to my liking, I then did the same thing to the second drive.

    If I was ever any more happy, it was running Reiser, until... From what I gather, the developer, and the driving force for any and all future upgrading and changes of the Reiser file system came under legal battles, and later imprisoned... It was clear that using Reiser was going to be going no where anymore, so I ditched it like I had done previously with ext3.

    I can't be sure of the "technical" side of the two file systems, but, if you ask me my "gut" feelings, I would have to say, that, I felt that Reiser was less overhead and a better file system than the ext3 technology. I think Reiser was faster, more stable, and by far, the technology best used within Linux when it came to a file system. But, that is just me...

    LC

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45
    Thank goodness modern Linux kernels can read and write to ntfs file systems, it makes them so much more usable on multi-boot systems! For Linux only systems, ext3 seems the safest till ext4 is properly sorted out, or that zfs is imported from Solaris, which offers a lot of advantages.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    I dunno yet what I'm using, LOL!!!

    Whatever I did, I want to convert to Reiser???

    Whaddah-y'all think?

    I messed with this linux thing about a year after ubuntu came out.
    I successfully got my usb/serial CDMA modem installed and forgot about it 'till this thing called windoze 7 came out which was cracked before official release so's, so's...whadaya do???

    I surfed all day and nite yesterday with a boner (no what I mean, 4-sure!) trying to get viruses, lol.
    Impossible with any windoze.
    KNOPPIX!
    PASSED MY TEST!!!

    I completely skipped vista!

Similar Threads

  1. Filesystem
    By midget in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
  2. Knoppix Filesystem?
    By rixter in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
  3. Compressed filesystem
    By abby in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 09:56 AM
  4. Partition Filesystem
    By bsaber in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 03:12 AM
  5. Filesystem troubles
    By PyroBoy101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99