Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: copying large files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    3

    copying large files

    Am trying to recover camcorder video files from a SATA drive. Can see them with Knoppix and wat to transfer to an external drive .. How can I transfer large files (approx 24 meg).

    Am new to Knoppix/Linux so if there is suggested reading on this topic would appreciate reference.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    24 meg is hardly large, particularly for video. 24 gig is large, did you mean 24 gig?

    The important thing about transferring files with Knoppix is that it is not safe to write to NTFS. So you should write to a FAT formatted device, not an NTFS formatted drive. This presents no problem if you really have 24 meg of data, even a small flash drive should work. If you have 24 gig of data, particularly any one file over the FAT file limit size, then you can't use Knoppix to safely transfer them.

    I do my data recovery with Knoppix by transferring files to another computer on a network, and saving them there. Since that other computer is what is actually writing the files, and it can be a Windows box, it can safely write to NTFS just fine. I use Knoppix a an FTP client and install an FTP server on the receiving system, but that is only one of any number of ways to make the transfer.

    Obviously you'll need a version of Knoppix that is new enough to know about SATA drives. However, I've been very disappointed with 6.x versions, and I would suggest that you might have less problems with one of the 5.x versions of Koppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    3

    copying large files

    OOOps. Yes...I meant 24 G. These are video files from a camcorder. I was trying to copy from a SATA drive to a FAT drive. According to your message I should be transferring file from one computer to another, so I guess I should learn how to set up file sharing. Did not realize the FAT restriction.

    I greatly appreciate your prompt response. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    3

    copying large files

    Well, I retrieved my files with two computers, but my appetite for Knoppix is whetted. I decided to take your advice and looked for version 1.1 and downloaded it, but have not tried to use it yet.

    I did some web browsing and saw reference to using version 5.1.1 to write directly to ntfs drives. I don't want to embark in dangerous territory so wonder what your comments would be.

    After reading about that I went back to my browser and checked the Univ of Wisconsin mirror and it seems that I downloaded 5.1.1!!!


    I don't want even to test it for writing to NTFS if you think it not advisable. Too many other things to do

    thanks for your help

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    I would no risk writing to NTFS with any drive I want to keep content of, as last resort I have used it, but almost always with a system that was dead otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
  2. Large extremely important NTFS files...
    By gurdian in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:39 AM
  3. Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
    By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Splitting large files?
    By ph28205 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
  5. copying a large file
    By igor_m in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition

$435.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99