Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: WiFi Encryptioon Key?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36

    WiFi Encryptioon Key?

    Hi I am on vacation on an Island on Lake Erie. I am not able to use the wifi here w/linux box. I am using 2 identical laptops, one w/ Knoppix 5.1.1, and the other running XP. To make long story short. The winders box provided me w/a gui to input the name of the wifi network here, and the encryption key. I have got the linux box to identify the wifi, but I need to know how to input the encryption key. Please help.

    Borgward

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    open a console and type
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "any" channel auto key "s:encryptionkey" ap any
    the s: is needed if the key is ascii (alphanumeric) if i is hex (13 numbers and letters from a to f only).
    if no go try without the s:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "any" channel auto key "encryptionkey" ap any

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36
    OK, I entered in root shell:
    iwconfig eth0 essid skey) ap any

    The Kwlan icon at the bottom right of the screen flashed message eth0 is connected. and the righ hand part of it is blue, but I still can not get to google or anything else. I can not edit the profile either. I opened the Kwlan Network Profiles, selected the profile, clicked on Edit, Networkconfig comes up w/Security Settings. The Profile name / ssid is displayed in a dim manner, and I can not make selections on any of the drop downs. Authentication is currently displayed as Plaintext or static WEP, and Encryption is None. All these options are displayed very dimly, and can not be changed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try to open kwifimanager from tthe console with
    Code:
    sudo kwifimanager

Similar Threads

  1. MA101 USB Wifi
    By stars in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 05:44 AM
  2. WIFI management.
    By jazzback in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 12:52 AM
  3. wifi- no support
    By Ssysak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:18 PM
  4. PLEASE Does no one know about wifi in STD
    By Suzanne101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:58 AM
  5. Wifi 802.11a/b/G
    By poussin in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98