-
Mount Partition from drive with corrupt partition table
Greetings,
I'm trying desperately to rescue some data from a failing hard drive. Long story short, the partition table must be wasted and be located amongst unreadable/unwritable sectors. Testdisk is able to find the partitions by scanning the drive's cylinders, but writing a new partition table does not change a thing.
At any rate, I know that a lot of the data is still there because photorec was able to recover some, but not all, of my pictures. If I understand correctly, photorec rarely picks up fragmented pictures, which is probably my problem.
This said, what I would like to do with Knoppix is try to mount one of the partitions from the disk, then try to read the data (praying that the filesystem on teh partition is intact). Is it possible to mount a drive with an offset, the way you can with a disk image?
The best I can figure is to use something like this, but I'm not sure this is correct (or even possible to do):
mount -t ntfs -r /dev/sda /mnt/mt1 -o offset=(offset in bytes)
Any thoughts?
Also, anyone know how to make sense of the "start" of the partition that testdisk shows me? (13430 0 1) How can I convert this to bytes?
Thanks for your time,
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By lakanook in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-17-2006, 01:53 AM
-
By pestie in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 11:10 PM
-
By yonatan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM
-
By NormanBates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-21-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By Canis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99