Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Finding Vista HD when using Knoppix for data recovery...?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8
    Whoa, I figured it out! Not sure if it was something I did but the most recent time I loaded the live cd, it put the stupid MyBook in the sdb1 slot and then I ran PhotoRec from the media directory instead of the home/knoppix directory. This time it showed me all the options in a way that made sense and I could even navigate to a specific subdirectory in MyBook to write the files. This was probably something really obvious to a Linux user...or even someone really familiar with command line stuff. In any case, PhotoRec is running!

    So now I just cross my fingers and pray to the voodoo computer gods that it can find anything!

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8
    Just an update...Photorec is very slowly running, having many "error reading sector" messages. The estimated time fluctuates between 23000 hours and 31000 hours! Needless to say if it doesn't pick up pretty soon, I'll probably have to give up since several years is not realistic. But I might make another week or two. It is still in Pass 0, finally found 3 of 10 headers needed to begin...I'm crossing my fingers that it will find the other 7 needed headers and be able to get on with recovery before I lose my patience. My hard drive is in an external USB enclosure and I keep it sitting on freezer packs to keep it cool. Figure anything that reduces wear and tear on this physically failing drive is worth trying.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I admire your persistence. Especially the ice packs. Here's a page with links about hard drive hardware etc. to read whilst you wait for photorec to do it's thing.

    http://repair4harddisk.org/disassembly_hard_drive.html

    Who knows, you might want to start your own data recovery business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery!
    By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
  2. Data Recovery
    By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
  3. Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!
    By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
  4. Knoppix for Data Recovery? Hard Drive Failure!
    By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
  5. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$299.85



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99