-
Finding Vista HD when using Knoppix for data recovery...?
Hi there,
I am a complete noob to Linux and only marginally more advanced at troubleshooting Windows. I found Knoppix as a possible way to retrieve data on my laptop, which I can't boot up (disk read error). I have already tried the system recovery approach through Vista disks but can't even get to an input option. My computer is still under warranty with Dell but they simply want to wipe the drive and/or replace it, without helping with data recovery at all - so I'm desperately trying to get my files first.
I have burned a CD to boot from (Knoppix 6.0.1, I believe). It does open up a Linux desktop and I can see the USB thumb drive I'm hoping to put my data on...but I can't figure out how to see my laptop hard drive to capture my files. I went to the Rescue FAQs and attempted to follow the info provided here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_F...ue_the_data.3F. Unfortunately, the linked tutorials refer to a much older version of Knoppix and don't mention Vista. The current version of Knoppix that I have doesn't match what is shown.
So here's my questions:
- Can anyone point me to a simple walk-through or provide clear info on how to use Knoppix to recover data from a Vista laptop?
- Specifically, how do I find or access my Vista hard drive? Do I need to "mount" the drive first or something? (not totally sure what that means...)
- Should I be using a different version of Knoppix then 6.0.1?
Here's some specs on my computer, in case that helps:
- Dell M1530 laptop
Running Vista Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, t8300 (2.4GHz/800MHz FSB)
4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm Memory
250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/- RW Slot Load Drive
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and possibly help!
Jen
Similar Threads
-
By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
-
By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
-
By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
-
By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 27
Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
-
By cohyster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box
$74.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE
$65.00