-
Hi Rusty,
Thanks for your suggestion. I've been fiddling around with the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. Everything still hung up every time I tried to access my computer hard drive. I'm pretty certain there is something physical wrong with the hard drive. Dell has labeled it damaged and is sending a replacement. In the meantime, I'm still trying to sneak in some way and capture some of my data in any way possible ($1500 - $3000 and up for a data recovery service is definitely out of my range
). Although I'm a newbie, I'm thinking I might as well try to stumble my way through Linux/Knoppix stuff and see if I can get better results. Since the data is probably lost in any case, what have I got to lose? Any suggestions on where to begin? I read somewhere that I might be able to do something from the root command line but have no idea where to start with that...
Thanks!!!
Jen
Oh, also saw reference to something called testdisk that might have worked for some folks but couldn't figure out how to access it through Knoppix...
Similar Threads
-
By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
-
By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
-
By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
-
By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 27
Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
-
By cohyster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working
$325.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00

Lot of Vintage 90’s Compaq Computers How Does How Can I Booklets
$39.95

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS
$50.00

Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape
$499.00

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00