-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
acuevas
.....and I and up with a blank screen and a 'cross' as a cursor but nothing else. After a while it simply shuts down. I'm guessing I burmed a bad image?
I'm not clear what the problem is from your data. Or even just what you mean by "a bad image". That you have a Cross cursor indicates that you got pretty far into the booting process, far enough to start the X graphical environment. I'm not sure why it will not boot the rest of the way from there (most failures in making a disc reveal themselves a lot before that).
Here are some additional thoughts that might help:
- BitTorrent does it's own error checking so the md5 test usually isn't really needed with a BitTorrent download (but it is extremely important on a download from the mirrors). Still, I hope that you did the md5 test and got a match, or that you do it now and confirm that the ISO file is good.
That fact that you go as far as you did into the boot process confirms that you did indeed burn the ISO "as an image" rather than just write it directly to a disc or make one of the other common mistakes. Did you burn it at low speed? This is very important. Even if you burned at low speed, you might want to try another burn, I would suggest burning to a 700 meg CDRW. This will avoid any waste if the results are the same, and will further enforce that the burn is done at a low speed.
By the way, the mention of 700 meg reminds me, you did use 700 meg media, didn't you. It's all pretty much 700 meg now, but we have troubleshot boot problems that turned out to be someone trying to burn to 650 meg media.
And, if you used Nero, did you click the option to have it do a verification pass at the end of the burn. On occasion I have had this catch a bad burn even though my ISO was good and I was burning at low speed.
If none of that helps, you may want to try three things at boot time. One is to type in failsafe at the boot prompt and boot into failsafe mode. I can assure you that you will not like running in failsafe mode, as many things including you mouse may not work, but it may at least confirm that the system will boot up further into Knoppix. If it does then you may need to play with the cheat codes and find a code or combination of codes that work for you.
The second thing is to type memtest at the boot prompt and run memtest86. Let it run at least a full pass. I don't really think that you have a memory problem, but this has indeed found the problem for some people and you are all set to do the test so you might as well determine if there is a memory issue now rather than weeks from now.
Try typing testcd at the prompt and let Knoppix test the CD itself. I don't put blind faith in a test that passes (it can't quite check everything), but it is worth doing and any failure of testcd would certainly point you in the direction of a problem.
If you do try to burn another disc and you don't have a 700 meg CDRW available, then try another brand. Note that I didn't say anything about using a "quality brand", as some of my worst burning experiences have been on expensive Sony media and I have plenty of bargain brand or generic no-name media that is great.
In all I think you are likely doing things right and that you may just need to find a good set of cheat codes for your hardware, but I mentioned the rest because they are things that we have seen time and time again. Please post back your results and any additional questions that you might have.
Similar Threads
-
By podo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
-
By Antoine in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
-
By hnash53 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
-
By Coume in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 04:47 PM
-
By gonzalu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos
$117.45