Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 6.0? LXDE? Cannot open the hard drive?

  1. #1

    Knoppix 6.0? LXDE? Cannot open the hard drive?

    Hey guys -

    I'm pretty Linux illiterate and computer hardware intermediate and software comfortable but I am having some issues...

    My Windows XP Professional crashed for god knows what reason telling me it cant find some system or registry hive files, yada yada, so I read and heard about this Knoppix ordeal, cool stuff... except I've yet to get it to fully work for me.

    I got past the whole burn the ISO onto a disk and change your boot settings ordeal, used a CD-R, but when it loads Knoppix, it doesnt look like everyone else has been describing, mine says LXDE or something, lightweight desktop environment? Is this normal? I think I have a 6.0 version or some 6.odd version. This may or may not be my problem...

    I can see the USB drive just fine using this systems version of the explorer/file manager type program, and what I believe to be the hard drive (are those usually around 70 GB?) but when I click the hard drive, it doesnt load anything and gives me an error message about org.hal.device.error I forget... getting annoying switching computer monitor, mouse, and keyboard back and forth... does this sound familiar to anyone?

    I have indeed noticed a couple of people mentioning words like "mount" but I dont know what the heck that is or if it applies in this situation or how I would modify code if that was indeed what comes next...

    or Maybe my harddrive is just damaged and I am SOL in getting my files back no matter what?

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    If you Google Knoppix 6, or search in this forum, you will find that LXDE is indeed the default environment in Knoppix 6, so you are probably booting quite OK.
    For such resque use, in my opinion you really have to know a bit a bit about what you are doing, so I think you should try to read up a bit about basic Unix use. Don't expect people to be very interested in providing answers to basic questions that you should look up yourself.

    Resque use is definitely not what the usual GUI file managers are usually built for, and all the different NTFS variants being foreign systems, AFAIK only partially reverse engineered, you should not expect to be able to point and click your way around. This is a basic way you can check if there is a simple way to recover your disk. Open a terminal window (e.g run rxvt) and issue the following commands:

    Code:
    su   # become root
    fdisk -l  # see what disks and partitions Knoppix has found 
    mkdir /media/sda1  # maybe you're told this already exists
    mount -o ro -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/sda1  # mount NTFS partition read-only, give fs type explicitly just to be sure
    ls -al /media/sda1    # if mounting has gone well, you can check the main directory listing
    You should not attempt to write to NTFS partitions, but FAT32 goes just fine. So you could use Knoppix to transfer the important contents to a pendrive or a USB harddisk. For more advanced OS repair work, most people would advise you to get the Windows tools available.

Similar Threads

  1. Install KDE in hard disk with knoppix LXDE
    By Miguel Cuba in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 06:36 AM
  2. Knoppix 6.0.1 LXDE on HD
    By arwen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM
  3. cant find hard drive. access denied. cant open
    By ed123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 01:04 AM
  4. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  5. Can't Open Hard Drive folder
    By [email protected] in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L picture

Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L

$60.00