-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
KansasGuy
1) I'm using the following website to try to find my XP files, but the desktop doesn't have hda1, etc on it. (newer version of Knoppix, and my linux knowledge is very rusty) I've explored some but can't find it
A lot of people, myself included, find 6.x to be a big step backwards from previous versions. One common complaint is that the desktop icons for the partitions no longer appear. From what others have written here you should still be able to find your partitions by opening a file manager. Sorry, can't give more details, I don't have a copy of 6.x in front of me at the moment.
And, of course, we are hoping that the partitions still exist and can be accessed. Unfortunately with Windows involved you can't be sure of that until you actually have the files.
Alternatives would include 5.x versions of Knoppix and other Live CD versions of Linux (see my answer to #2 below).

Originally Posted by
KansasGuy
2) The wireless connection will connect to a "freenet" in the area, which then wants me to subscribe for $20 per month, but doesn't "see" my wireless connection in the house which is only WEP protected (and I haven't been able to configure the Knoppix to find it)
Unfortunately, I've found wireless support in Knoppix very poor. Wired networking is great, but not so with wireless. The last version of Knoppix that I could get to work with any of my wireless cards was 4.02. It did work and could be set up on WEP with one of my wireless cards. I have not even tried with 6.x (low expectations). My other cards were never recognized by Knoppix, but I did find that several other Live CDs did run those same cards just fine, including Puppy Linux and Mandriva1 and even the Backtrack series (more of a security release than the others, but you can get some work done and it had excellent wifi support). Some people do indeed use Knoppix with wifi, but it seems very hardware dependent. If Knoppix doesn't recognize your hardware you can try various workarounds of wrapper or installing drivers, but I personally would suggest using different distros for most users. This, by the way, should also help resolve your "partitions are not on my desktop" issue; as most other distros (particularly Puppy Linux) will indeed give you desk top icons for your partitions if they can find them.
If Knoppix 6.x does indeed find Freenet then your hardware is likely detected and working just fine. So you indeed should be able to configure it for the SSID and WEP key of your local network. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've done that that I can't remember exactly what I did. But look in the networking section of the menu for wireless networking tools and give it a try. Or use the search feature of these forums to look in the networking forum and find discussions about wireless configuration.
Similar Threads
-
By Rob_S in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM
-
By Raineri in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
-
By Levon in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-20-2003, 01:13 AM
-
By Allowee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-22-2003, 06:33 AM
-
By dvessey in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP
$127.00

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99