-
customizing knoppix adriane, need advice
since useing damn small linux, i been trying to find a good small USB friendly OS. slax and puppy are great for some people, just didn't work for me. knoppix is the most all around computer friendly i've found so far. DSL is also too outdated and difficult to use. what im looking to do is get a bareboned bootable user friendly knoppix customized with programs i use daily. is there a list of "safe" packages i can delete without compromising the backbone of knoppix? if i can get a foundation to build on i think i can maanage the rest.
im trying to build on knoppix 6 released in feb 2009 and already deleted everything with openoffice in the name, saving around 300 MB's already. anyone have any advice?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try and check out what has been left out in other remasterings:
1) Of Knoppix 6.0.1
2) Of earlier versions
Also check the size - big chunks like OpenOffice really helps, small packages may be left in until you are sure about them.
I think you have to define the "backbone of Knoppix" yourself. I doubt Java is needed for getting it up and running, for example. But it may not be the best thing to leave out, though.. For my use, that is
YMMV
By the way: What is your size goal, and why? Using mostly USB pendrives, I don't feel that need to strip down the basic install, anymore.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Zooppix

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
Try and check out what has been left out in other remasterings...
I think you have to define the "backbone of Knoppix" yourself. ..
[Zooppix]
Hi.
I think that there are a whole "zoo" of "backbone" definition that can be done...
I did a little test in "opening and closing" a remaster for the 6.2 and succeed with the new .ISO image.
Now, one of the "zoo" definition I want to try is that: "Knoppix VirtualBox Player" (just backbone to run VBox from "live media").
Just software enough to run the VirtualBox (perhaps GParted and few other basic stuff).
I mean, boot from the live knoppix and run VBox "out of the box", so that I can import and run any "O.S." I want (Virtual Machines).
Anybody has any idea about the final size of the .ISO that can be achieved?
Has anybody tried it and can give us advice?
Thanks all,
Valter
Similar Threads
-
By johnny5 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
-
By kleanchap in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
-
By vincent temmerman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
-
By mastermind in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
-
By AngryNAMEhasn'tbeentaken in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99