Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CD big enought to download Knoppics

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14

    CD big enought to download Knoppics

    Where can I find a CD big enought to download Knoppics 5.3 more than 4gb

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    There are so many things wrong with that question that at first I suspected that English wasn't your native language, but based on where you posted from that isn't the case.

    First of all, Downloading the Knoppix file(s) is not dependent on the file size, at least as far as a CD is concerned. For downloading what is important is that you not try to save a file over 4 gig in size to a FAT partition, which will not hold files 4 gig and larger. If you are downloading with Windows you would need to use a system with the "newer" NTFS fle system, which allows for larger files.

    Next, as far as burning and CDs are concerned, the KNOPPIX_V5.3.1DVD-2008-03-26-EN image is not intended to be written to a CD. It is intended to be written to a DVD media. In addition to the size, notice the letters DVD right after the version number. It will fit on a single layer DVD media when burnt properly. There was no CD version of 5.3.1. released. But there is still a copy of 5.1.1 CD available by the torrents (as well as the DVD version of 5.1.1) for those who only have CD burning available. And, I hope this is obvious but I'll state it anyway, you would have to burn the image on a system that supports files over 4 gig in size, so you can't burn the ISO from older systems which only support FAT partition types. So no burning of the DVD from Win98, even if you have a DVD burner on that system.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    I live in the north east of England where some say English is not spoken but they are mainly from the south that say that. I have had Linux for around five years but not Knoppics but I have a brand new laptop Asus that has a problem one way or another with all the Linux systems I have tried on it, Ubuntu, Puppy, Nimblex, Fedora, I could go on but Knoppics might just do it. I have a DVD CD or what ever but the Save Knoppics configuration is missing, swap file and all the others are there so I am wondering if the DVD is at fault so thought I would download and burn another as this new computer will do it but when I saw the size of it I have no discs to do it. Can you please tell me if Save Knoppics configuration is actually present in 5.3?
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Saving the configuration is a completely different issue than burning the image to CD or DVD. I have never gotten saving the configuration to work right, so I don't know if it is present in 5.3.1. I'll leave that for others to answer. If it is there I strongly suggest that you don't save to a NTFS partition, saving to a small flash drive would be the prefered option.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. 3,5 download ftp
    By cybercoin in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 12:12 PM
  2. Do you also download????
    By mimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:05 AM
  3. What do I download?
    By mimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 12:36 AM
  4. where to download from
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 09:23 AM
  5. Download?
    By Cyazares in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96