Here's a few tools you can look at:
http://lde.sourceforge.net/
http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks
http://linux.die.net/man/8/gpart
HTH
Greetings,
I'm trying desperately to rescue some data from a failing hard drive. Long story short, the partition table must be wasted and be located amongst unreadable/unwritable sectors. Testdisk is able to find the partitions by scanning the drive's cylinders, but writing a new partition table does not change a thing.
At any rate, I know that a lot of the data is still there because photorec was able to recover some, but not all, of my pictures. If I understand correctly, photorec rarely picks up fragmented pictures, which is probably my problem.
This said, what I would like to do with Knoppix is try to mount one of the partitions from the disk, then try to read the data (praying that the filesystem on teh partition is intact). Is it possible to mount a drive with an offset, the way you can with a disk image?
The best I can figure is to use something like this, but I'm not sure this is correct (or even possible to do):
mount -t ntfs -r /dev/sda /mnt/mt1 -o offset=(offset in bytes)
Any thoughts?
Also, anyone know how to make sense of the "start" of the partition that testdisk shows me? (13430 0 1) How can I convert this to bytes?
Thanks for your time,
Mike
Here's a few tools you can look at:
http://lde.sourceforge.net/
http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks
http://linux.die.net/man/8/gpart
HTH

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00