Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error trying to use Knoppix first time

  1. #1

    Error trying to use Knoppix first time

    I created a Knoppix 6.0.1 CD.

    Booted the computer. Got messesages.

    Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging shell.
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    /#

    When I entered "help", "init"was highlighted.

    What do I need to do to get knoppix to boot from CD?

    FYI, all hard drives are SCSI.

  2. #2
    Here's more info:

    The desktop has a SCSI CD-ROM drive (running off an Adaptec 2940UW), and an ATAPI CD-RW.

    The failure mentioned in my origanal post was found using the SCSI CD-ROM drive.

    I then tried on a notebook with an ATAPI CD/DVD writing drive.
    Boot succeeded, but I did notice that the wireless network was not recognized. A few icons appeared in the panel at the bottom of the Window.

    I then went back to the desktop, this time usin the ATAPI CD-RW drive.

    The boot seemed to work, BUT, other than the network icon, no other icons appeared in the panel. The desktop is much slower than the notebook, maybe the icons would hav eappeared after many minutes, but I was not about to wait. I could not figure out how to reboot, so I had to power down. Bye thee waye, the network icon did recognize the wired network, as the desktop is wired to the router, whilst the notebook is wireless.

    I then tried again, with the CD in the SCSI CD-ROM drive. Same error as in my original post.

    I have no trouble booting an Ubuntu Live CD.

    Perhaps, the speed, or lack thereof, of the desktop accounted for the icons not appearing when using the ATAPI CD-RW.

    I find it hard to believe that there's a problem using a SCSI CD-ROM drive via an Adaptec 2940UW, but that may be a problem.

  3. #3
    Yet more info.

    I can boot with an Ubuntu 9.4 CD.
    I can boot with a http://www.SystemRscueCd.org/ CD.

    So the problem does lie in Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Installed Knoppix to HD for first time.
    By Gthang in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 05:21 AM
  2. Knoppix 4.0 boot time
    By GaTk in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
  3. knoppix 1st time user..
    By seta21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 06:32 AM
  4. First time using Knoppix ...
    By Nightshade7676 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 11:37 PM
  5. knoppix cd-got it burnt-properly this time
    By archdlx in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 07:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM picture

128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM

$850.00



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



OLOy Warhawk RGB + XPG D35 96GB (3x32GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM DDR4 SDRAM picture

OLOy Warhawk RGB + XPG D35 96GB (3x32GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM DDR4 SDRAM

$625.00



1 X Samsung M471A2K43EB1-CWE 16GB PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200) SO-DIMM Memory(UNTESTED) picture

1 X Samsung M471A2K43EB1-CWE 16GB PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200) SO-DIMM Memory(UNTESTED)

$75.00



G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO picture

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO

$419.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99