Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Flash drive boot - How to get Samba running

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Posts
    1

    Flash drive boot - How to get Samba running

    I am one day into Knoppix and everything is as promised.
    This maybe a naming convention which I do not understand!
    Knoppix has samba-common installed, but not samba.
    Thus, all the examples I have found in this forum for starting samba won't work. I simplistically replaced samba-common for the word samba in the examples but no joy.
    I suspect I need to do something with samba-common to make samba install, but what?
    Is -common a suffix of some significance?

    Any one have time to help a real beginner.

    Tks in advance.

    Ian B

    Found a reference in the forum to "Synaptic Package Manager, press CTRL+R to refresh latest packages, and search for gadmin-samba" and followed this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29628 - Thanks Robert

    This installed samba and I gather that the -common in this case is common to server and desktop?
    Ian B

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Flash drive boot - How to get Samba running

    Quote Originally Posted by IanDB
    I am one day into Knoppix and everything is as promised.
    This maybe a naming convention which I do not understand!
    Knoppix has samba-common installed, but not samba.
    Thus, all the examples I have found in this forum for starting samba won't work. I simplistically replaced samba-common for the word samba in the examples but no joy.
    I suspect I need to do something with samba-common to make samba install, but what?
    Is -common a suffix of some significance?

    Any one have time to help a real beginner.

    Tks in advance.

    Ian B

    Found a reference in the forum to "Synaptic Package Manager, press CTRL+R to refresh latest packages, and search for gadmin-samba" and followed this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29628 - Thanks Robert

    This installed samba and I gather that the -common in this case is common to server and desktop?
    Ian B
    Depends on what version of knoppix you are using. I use knoppix 5.1.1 and samba is installed.

    Check out the FAQ below on how to setup the samba

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Shared_Drive_FAQ

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Live CD using a flash drive?
    By ocho in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  4. Samba server running slowly
    By vincentfreeman in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 06:02 PM
  5. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



BA96-07387A for Samsung Galaxy Book Flex NP950QCG LCD Screen Complete Assembly picture

BA96-07387A for Samsung Galaxy Book Flex NP950QCG LCD Screen Complete Assembly

$299.00