Quote Originally Posted by Shadowed State of Mind
The external isn't full. Heck, it became LESS so as I started to unload it bit by bit. Anyway, I can try a System Restore and rewind to a date where I'm sure this thing was able to see the thing. Also, where is the downloading faq? Can't find it.
Didn't say anything about the drive being full, just that my LBA problem only manifested itself after a certain amount of data was written to the drive, the wacky way that the OSs computed sector addresses differently between Win95 and Win98 only manifested itself after the track number reached a certain point. My drives were not full, but were roached beyond use.

But even if this isn't a LBA computation issue between Vista and a previous OS, the fact remains that I've seen several of my hard drives roached by Windows when in an external case (running Xp in my case and connected by firewire, but I have no reason to think that Vista and USB would give better results). I suggest that others should be as cautious about such external drives with Windows as I have become. Still, it would be worth trying Knoppix, and even gpart or testdisk to see if the data can be recovered. And if Windows is already mucking up the drive then a "System Restore" is not going to help, and it is not unlikely to cause additional problems.

As to the Downloading faq, see the link marked Documentation near the top of this page? After you click it you will be at our wiki. You should be able to find the FAQ from there, there is a link to it on the main page. It contains all of the important information for downloading the ISO, checking it, and burning it properly (as an image and at low speed).