Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: iPcop and Knoppix recovery setup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1

    iPcop and Knoppix recovery setup

    Hello all, just found the forum and hope I can get some help. I have an iPcop box, that is just not booting anymore. It has three Nic cards. Red, Blue and Green. I also have Knoppix 6.0, running on a USB stick. I have a folder setup on my Windows Xp machine for file sharing. The iPcop box Red Nic is connected directly to a D-Link router which is connected to a DSL modem.

    I will like to know how to setup Knoppix, in order to make an image of the iPcop Hard Drive. Then be able to write the image to a larger or same size Hard Drive, saving me the trouble of doing the whole iPcop setup and configuration over.

    I can also WinSCP or Putty into the iPcop box from the windows machine. Once the PC is connected to the D-Link router.

    My Red nic is set as, 172.16..1.100, the Green to 172.16.7.1, the Blue to 172.16.8.1 and the D-Link router set to obtain an IP automatically.

    I am a Newbie when it come's to detail Networking, and I am very new to Knoppix.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: iPcop and Knoppix recovery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by node
    Hello all, just found the forum and hope I can get some help. I have an iPcop box, that is just not booting anymore. It has three Nic cards. Red, Blue and Green. I also have Knoppix 6.0, running on a USB stick. I have a folder setup on my Windows Xp machine for file sharing. The iPcop box Red Nic is connected directly to a D-Link router which is connected to a DSL modem.

    I will like to know how to setup Knoppix, in order to make an image of the iPcop Hard Drive. Then be able to write the image to a larger or same size Hard Drive, saving me the trouble of doing the whole iPcop setup and configuration over.

    I can also WinSCP or Putty into the iPcop box from the windows machine. Once the PC is connected to the D-Link router.

    My Red nic is set as, 172.16..1.100, the Green to 172.16.7.1, the Blue to 172.16.8.1 and the D-Link router set to obtain an IP automatically.

    I am a Newbie when it come's to detail Networking, and I am very new to Knoppix.

    Thanks
    First of all, you need to have your iPcop box re-install and make it works.

    Then you can clone your harddisk.

    To clone your harddisk, you need
    1. boot from knoppix (in your case, from your usb stick)
    2. your local hard drive you want to clone (in your ipcop machine)
    3. another hard drive to keep the clone image.

    To make thing simple at the first place, I assume you have a USB hard drive that can be used for this purpose.

    To create the backup copy of your harddisk

    1. boot the machine with knoppix
    2. mount the local hard drive as read-only and identify it's device name (i.e. assume it is /media/hda1)
    3. mount the USB hard drive as read-write and identify it's device name (i.e. assume it is /media/sda1)
    4. use the dd command to clone the hard drive

    Code:
    $ dd if=/media/hda1 of=/media/sda1/clone.img
    Once it is succesfully done, you will have a clone image file called clone.img on /media/sda1.

    To restore the clone image back to the hard drive later on

    1. boot the machine with knoppix
    2. mount the local hard drive as read-write (i.e. it is /media/hda1)
    3. mount the USB hard drive as read-only (i.e. it is /media/sda1)
    4. use the dd command to restore the cloned image

    Code:
    $ dd if=/media/sda1/clone.img of=/media/hda1
    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  2. Using Knoppix for Recovery and the iPod...
    By PatrickH in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
  3. System recovery with Knoppix
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
  4. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. knoppix create system recovery CDs?
    By dnewcomb in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95