Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix STD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix STD

    Hi,

    Noob here but I will try to be conscise and clear.

    Can't seem to get Knoppix STD 1.0 to boot on any of my two laptops, or my desktop. I actually created two different disks of knoppix-STD from two different mirrors and verified the MD5 on both. I was able to get it to boot in Vmware6 from my desktop but my laptops don't support vmware and I really don't want to go that route anyway.

    The error on all systems seems to be the same "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

    I tried several different options such as
    knoppix failsafe
    knoppix boot=/dev/sr0 (I figured this out after creating a knoppix adriane disk and which does boot from laptop)
    knoppix nodma

    I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what else I might try to get disk to work?

    What is the command used that will display the boot messages as Knoppix boots? It seems like a message fly's by before returning this error message.

    What kernel the knoppix-STD use?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix STD is not Knoppix, it is a different live CD that used a very old version of Knoppix as a base to build from. I don't think it's been updated in years. Sorry, I don't know the kernel version. What are you trying to do? Do you really want to catch the STD, or would real Knoppix or some other live CD work better for you? If you want a security tool, which STD was intended to be, I would suggest that you look at the current and well supported Backtrack serise of live Linux discs, or there are other forensic and security related live CDs that have not been abandoned like STD has.


    The most common cause of "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell." is people believing that they can burn a quality disc at high speed (although it can be caused by other things, including marginal drives, marginal media, and trying to boot an old distro like STD that does not have SATA support on a newer style SATA optical drive). I suggest finding a different distro that you may be interested in and burning it at low speed and see if your results are not improved.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix STD

    Thanks for the reply Harry...

    I was coming to many of the same conclusions about this STD version.

    I will obtain the BackTrack version and suggest the instructor, who is insisting we be able to use STD on a laptop, consider requiring tool set that is more inline with the times.

    Regards,
    Sec

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working picture

Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working

$110.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS picture

Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS

$104.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



MOS 6567R8 VIC II VIC-II Video Chip Commodore 64 Tested Working NTSC picture

MOS 6567R8 VIC II VIC-II Video Chip Commodore 64 Tested Working NTSC

$64.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99