-
The dreaded chroot !
Hi All
I am a linux newbie , i decided to give it a try when some malware hijacked my windows even after being scanned twice . It downloaded and f... me in real time . So I have decided no more and thats how I would up here .
I am a linux newbie so all I ask is that if you have a suggestion please provide a concise code example or I will be totally lost at the slightest assumption .
I ahve scouered the internet looking for an answer and can't seem to find anything useful even through posts of people that have had exactly the same problem.
Whenever I try to chrooot into the directory I want to use for remastering the error is cannot run bin/bash " O suchFi8le or Directory"
Checklist of what I did .
mounter the drive as root and set rw permissions
copies the Knoppix cd as root
checked to make sure all copies directories had the appropriate permissions for gid and uid .
I know that when the chroot command is executed , after specifying the new root directory you can run a command otherwise the system defaults to bin/bash . I am pretty sure all necessary directories and libs are present since everything off the cd has been copied .
I kind of like the idea of remastering cuz I think its a great way to learn about the internals of linux . Just wish I was getting off to a better start .
All help mych appreciated .
-
Figured it out
Hi
Ok for all that are stumped by this one .
I reformatted the drive from FAT 32 to ext 3 . I don't get the NO Such file or directory error anymore but noy I am getting a dev null permission denied error . However this prob is fully documented and the asnwer to it is in the forum already as well as other places .
Cause
Linux doesn't understand how to preserve ownership of files on a Fat32 drive and I have a sneaky suspicion that chroot doesn't support Fat32 either. I am not about to go checking the other fat partions . I reformatted to Ext 3 and now I am ok again ...welll that is until the next stumper !
lesson learned : Windows hated Linux not necessarily the other way around !
Similar Threads
-
By alberto.orlandini in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
-
By Sephiroth? in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2006, 12:55 AM
-
By spyhome in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco C9200-STACK-KIT Catalyst 9200-9200L STACK MOD COMPLETE SET (FD)
$220.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box
$332.49

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89