Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 6.1 live distro boot using PXE

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 6.1 live distro boot using PXE

    I have a Suse 10.1 server setup to do PXE booting.

    It does work because I can PXE boot a computer which provides a menu of options that I set up such as launching Spinrite, Dos/FDISK, memtest or I have even done a successful internet install of Debian etch by PXE booting a computer.

    Now, I would like to do be able to do a PXE install of the Knoppix.

    In other words, just like I can put the DVD into my computer and boot into a live distro I would like to do that from my server using PXE

    I have installed the linux and minirt.gz files onto the server. Then in the "default" file I have added the following for booting Knoppix:

    LABEL Knoppix 6.1
    menu label ^Knoppix
    kernel /knoppix/boot/isolinux/linux
    append ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz knoppix-terminalopenmosi nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer


    When I PXE boot and choose this option it starts a normal boot showing the penquin and other stuff then sits at:

    Waiting (USB)...

    After a short time it then displays:

    Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell...
    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    / #

    So it insists on trying to find a USB device to boot from?

    How do I fix this?

    Thank you for your help- Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    I have that error on my copy to harddisk installation. I too am interested in the solution to this problem.

    I have an existing Sidux installation on /dev/sda5 and I wanted to replace the existing winxp on /dev/sda1 with some other flavour of linux and I was thinking of trying eeebuntu nbr and knoppix6. none of my menu.lst tweak results in a proper boot and that include fromhd and bootfrom. I seems to remember something from my earlier attempt about fromiso or bootiso or somesuch but it's too late to try now. I've since destroyed the GRUB at sector 0, rendering the harddisk unbootable with a broken BIOS for a proper boot from USB device.

Similar Threads

  1. A question about Knoppix Live distro ?
    By dissel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM
  3. Live distro with TeX
    By rookworm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:02 PM
  5. How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD??!!
    By iD:0t in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras picture

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras

$124.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Collection Or Lot Of Vintage Cables & Adapters Rockwell Hasp Security Dongle picture

Collection Or Lot Of Vintage Cables & Adapters Rockwell Hasp Security Dongle

$50.00



Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00