Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: net problems booting PXE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    net problems booting PXE

    Hi,
    I try to make knoppix boot via PXE.
    I use knoppix version 5.3.1 (I have not enough traffic to dl lastest DVD being unsure it can help).
    I tried to read this: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/KNOPPIX_Terminal_Server and some other docs,
    but i use NFS.
    My problem that kernel can't find network modules during boot:
    can't cd to /modules/net
    ip: cannot find device "eth0"
    ip: cannot find device "eth1"
    ip: cannot find device "eth2"
    ip: cannot find device "eth3"

    I think problem is in rootfs file called "minirt.gz" I use as initrd=/knoppix/minirt.gz
    I found this file in /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    I couldn't find any file called "miniroot.gz"

    So I need help: where can I find proper rootfs for PXE boot or what can I do with network drivers in minirt.gz?
    I tried to mount it as: "gunzip minirt.gz ; mount -o loop minirt /mnt", but have a message about wrong fs type.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Well, I found this: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...anged_to_ramfs.
    # In the temp directory do the following:
    cpio -ivu --no-absolute-filenames < ../minirt
    # You should now have the minirt directory tree under minirtdir . Make your mods to files.
    # To wrap it backup up, in minirtdir:
    find . | cpio -oH newc | gzip -9 > ../minirt.gz

    It works, but manually copiyng /modules/net/*, hacking linuxrc to load that files and repacking fs is not too good.
    Would be better to find easier way for PXE boot.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    well, I tried version 5.1.1 and lastest version too.
    There were the same problems.

    I don't want to try that with knoppix - i took OpenSUSE linux, rebuilt kernel, rsynced rootfs, hacked initscripts and now i'm fine. My suse works in rescue mode instead of knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Problems
    By jimdeviney in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
  2. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  3. booting problems
    By rockinrodent in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
  4. Problems booting from CD-ROM
    By login365 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 12:38 AM
  5. Problems Booting the CD
    By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 1951 Core i5-1235U 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 512GB SSD 15

Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 1951 Core i5-1235U 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 512GB SSD 15"

$450.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21



Intel NUC 8 NUC8BEK Mini PC Core i3 8th Gen 8GB 128GB SSD Black picture

Intel NUC 8 NUC8BEK Mini PC Core i3 8th Gen 8GB 128GB SSD Black

$100.00