-
PCMan File Manager not seeing all files
My system is dual booting vista ultimate 64 bit and fedora 11 64x. I have knoppix bootable from a flash drive. I can see my hard drive in PCMan and the partitions for Recovery from Gateway, Partition 1 which is windows, and a 200 MB persistent drive which I am going to do away with. Though it doesn't see my Fedora Partition and I can't access the Partition 1 to see all my window files. If I click on document and settings I get a empty folder and I know the folder is not empty. Anyway I can access these files for windows through knoppix, and also for it to pick up my linux partition?
-
update
I used gparted to kill the 200mb partition and expanded my windows partition, so now Knoppix only sees the recovery, partition 1 and I still cannot access the deeper into the windows drive.
Edit:
ah... found the edit button sorry for doubling the posts.
Also I know it's not advisable to write to an ntfs disk with knoppix, I am just wanting to read it and transfer from the drive to either dvd's or my other thumbdrives, just in case my computer ever has a "oops" moment. I'm assuming this would be safe. Not sure if this is important but I only have the my documents icon on the desktop and no drives. I'm also using a sata drive. Also I just realized my dvd burner isn't showing up as well.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
It is OK to double post here if you have new information, and actually probably preferred to editing an old post, since when you edit an old post it is not flagged as "new" and someone just scanning for new information will not see the edit unless they just happen to come back and read the post again.
You do somewhat reduce your chance of getting a response by double posting, as some members here use the forum feature of finding unanswered posts and responding to them, If you respond to yourself then your post is not considered unanswered.
I don't believe that it is ever safe to write to NTFS with Knoppix, and I consider any NTFS partition written to by Knoppix to be potentially corrupt and even more likely to fail at some unknown date in the future than normal NTFS partitions (and the number of people who come here for help would seem to indicate that is not a rare event even for NTFS untouched by Knoppix). Other have posted that they routinely write to NTFS, so there are certainly different religious views in this area. Some argue that they only do it in an emergency to recover data, but in an emergency is the worst time for a nasty surprise and a lost partition. To me it is far better to use Knoppix read only and recover the data safely, then completely rebuild the partition with Windows tools.
Can't help you with your actual problem though.
-
Well it is picking up my dvd burner. Though now I realized that I can access some files on the disk, like pretty much everything except for my documents and settings folder under the vista drive and I dont have that folder encrypted to my knowledge.
Similar Threads
-
By zephyr200200 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-13-2006, 12:52 AM
-
By dhs13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-15-2006, 08:43 PM
-
By Simonkex in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
-
By Coume in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
-
By Paul Saunders in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99