Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: step 13 I am getting stumped-Using DVD 5.3 version

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2

    step 13 I am getting stumped-Using DVD 5.3 version

    1st attempt so bare with me...

    using dvd 5.03 to do a remaster, have Chris Negus book...

    It basically shows a command and does not work when I try-I have also looked on knoppix.net and this does not work for me either.

    dvd-rom drives shows up as /dev/hda. I have Slackware 12.2 installed on a sata drive. In order to do remastering I installed an ide hard drive. It shows up on Knoppix desktop as /dev/hdb1.

    OK I am going to explain what I know about "what I see" in command line so someone can explain something if I am missing something.

    Step is to copy all files needed when cd or dvd starts up (FAQ's and image files, etc...)
    book says this:
    cd /cdrom/KNOPPIX && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p parents '{}' /media/hdb1/knoppix/master/KNOPPIX

    Here is what I see in knoppix documentation onsite here:

    or the DVD Version you have to use -size -15000k and copy the KNOPPIX2 folder like this
    cp -ar /KNOPPIX2/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    It seems I cannot get this to work=can someone give me the EXACT command line. Here is what I think is going on

    cd cdrom && is changing into cdrom folder in backgound
    find . (uses find command to search for files 15000k (for dvd) or less and put into folder where I have all my data (same as book /media/hdb1/knoppix/master/KNOPPIX

    I have tried this different ways and although I feel I am an average user with Linux I cannot get this command to work. Can anyone help me out?

    Thank you very much-

    Bryan

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2

    Here is what seems to work now-please reply if you know more

    Here is how it seems to be working now for me-mship

    1st noticed more forums have the person using mount command to redirect hard drive to a folder in mnt directory

    So,

    1. su (need permission)
    2. mkdir /mnt/drive
    3.mount -rw /dev/hdb1 /mnt/drive

    Now all data on hard drive hdb1 is viewed by changing into directory structure /mnt/drive ....

    Now on to copying data for everything else on DVD

    cd /cdrom && find . -size -15000k -type f -exec cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2 /mnt/drive/knoppix/master/KNOPPIX \;

    the \; is very important on end to make sure when you told find to exec the cp command....

    I am now finding an input/output error-hoping this is from cd-burner or dvd (copy has scratches) ????

    IS THIS BETTER FOR ALL THE REAL SUPER-LINUX-HACKS out there?!!


Similar Threads

  1. Could someone write a step-by-step tutorial for Knoppix?
    By milzux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
  2. Step by step guide in making bootable Knoppix
    By Antoine in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
  3. Step by step install of Knoppix 3.4 required
    By Rod F. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
  4. looking for basic step by step how to install device drivers
    By hnash53 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers

$164.95



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99