Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: usb serial cable support

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    usb serial cable support

    Hi all,
    My Knoppix HD installation has been up and running fine for about 18 months and is very stable and supports all my hardware- in short, I'm very pleased with it. My main use of the system is for java development.

    I've hit a problem though in that I need to connect a serial device via a usb serial cable, which is not properly supported. If you plug the cable in and do a lsusb, the device is recognised and you get the vendor/product code 4348:5523 (nothing else). I've tried forcing the usbserial driver to use this device by modprobe, and it sort of works at the wrong baud rate (device is stuck at 57600- I want be able to set it to 9600!).

    Much research shows that a better driver for this device is ch341, which is present in much newer linux kernels e.g. 2.6.27 but not in mine (2.6.19) so the dilemma I have is:

    Do I:
    1. upgrade the kernel and risk- well, what are the risks?? I don't want to break my system...
    2. Compile the driver from ch341.c (I have this file; I can see from the code that it supports my cable) I should say I've sort of played with this but gcc produces lots of errors relating to missing include files. I'm not sure where to get these from, despite much reading up.
    3. At a push, I suppose I'd have to buy a new cable but I'd like to get my head around compiling drivers.

    Any suggestions are most welcome!

    Best regards,
    Alan

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Maybe that wasn't too good an idea...

    Attempting to compile it resulted in hundreds of errors- I worked through all those errors relating to missing include files for 2.6.19 kernel that were not supplied in my distro (I got them from kernel.org), but there is still literally hundreds- it starts with many relating to BITS_PER_LONG that I'll never be able to fathom.

    Anybody actually successfully compiled this for Knoppix 5.1.1?

    I might park this for now and look into the ch341 patch for the usbserial driver that I've found ...

    Clutching at straws though!

    Alan

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    The patch I'm on about is here:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.devel/57633

    Can anyone explain to me please how to apply this patch?

Similar Threads

  1. USB<-->Serial converter cable using PL2303 chipset
    By scottknl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:25 PM
  2. Serial cable
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
  3. Serial ATA Hard Drive Support
    By Duffin444 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 04:49 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:44 AM
  5. 2 Q's: Serial console and list of HW support
    By adammorley in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB SSD 3D NAND 2.5'' SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive picture

Netac 2TB SSD 3D NAND 2.5'' SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive

$190.00