Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Montpellier
    Posts
    11

    Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    --Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root. KDE will still be there on Alt-F7 (IIRC) but you can work in text mode. If you want to disable KDE from starting at boot, you need to edit /etc/inittab and comment (put a '#' in front of) the line where it starts KDM, I believe.

    --If you want, you can boot the Knoppix CD with a non-GUI runlevel (' knoppix 2 ') and try to figure out the right settings from there. Once you've got it the way you want, copy the /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM
    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.
    /etc/X11/XF86config-4

Similar Threads

  1. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM
  2. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:59 AM
  3. lilo and windows killing said of
    By whoCaresWatIamCalled in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
  4. Killing the swap file on boot
    By lockejr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
  5. Killing Gnome?
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive picture

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive

$109.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD

$199.00



SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5

SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5" 128MB Cach SAS ST4000NM0125 HDD hard drive

$59.99