Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Montpellier
    Posts
    11

    Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    --Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root. KDE will still be there on Alt-F7 (IIRC) but you can work in text mode. If you want to disable KDE from starting at boot, you need to edit /etc/inittab and comment (put a '#' in front of) the line where it starts KDM, I believe.

    --If you want, you can boot the Knoppix CD with a non-GUI runlevel (' knoppix 2 ') and try to figure out the right settings from there. Once you've got it the way you want, copy the /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM
    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.
    /etc/X11/XF86config-4

Similar Threads

  1. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM
  2. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:59 AM
  3. lilo and windows killing said of
    By whoCaresWatIamCalled in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
  4. Killing the swap file on boot
    By lockejr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
  5. Killing Gnome?
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working picture

Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working

$110.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS picture

Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS

$104.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99